Saturday, November 7, 2015

Made In The Shade.

 
 We wanted some sort of awning to keep dry, or for shade.


 We bought a bunch of 1 1/4" PVC pipe, some fittings, and a 10' x 30' tarp.

 
 I assembled the frame on the ground. We hadn't yet purchased bungee balls, so I laced the tarp to the frame with paracord.


 I attached a few 1/4" - 20 eye bolts above the windows and lashed the frame to them.

The PVC was a little too flexible, but it proved the concept.

 I ended up replacing the PVC with 1" aluminum rigid conduit, with PVC connectors on the ends, which I drilled holes in to pin it together with the PVC T's and 90's.


I also put eye bolts below the window line to attach the lower supports to.


The lower supports are high enough that we can walk under them without ducking.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice bus! I'm still trying to decide how to paint mine. How has your paint held up? I want to make sure that if I scrape a branch on the side of the road it doesnt peel the paint off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the most part, the paint is holding up well. There are a couple of spots that peeled when we removed the masking tape, and I attribute that to surface prep. Wet sanding a bus is no small task, and spots will be missed. Rivet! Rivet! Rivet!

    ReplyDelete